About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Sunday 28 June 2009

WHEN EXPERIMENTS GO WRONG!

Some years ago I made a large lighted sculpture from PVA glue and some string! The overall look worked so well, but unfortunately during the 4 day art exhibition, with the unusually extremely hot weather the shape started to sag. Ever since I have regretted not covering the mould with crochet and brushing the PVA onto that in order to create a hard skeleton....
...so recently I have been experimenting on this on a smaller scale.... This worked well and I was pleased with the outcome until...
I made the silly decision to experiment with yacht varnish. The thought behind this was that I had used this very high gloss, hard drying varnish on some bags previously and it worked well. I was looking to form a harder coating around the globe and wondering if I could bypass the PVA and create the form from crochet coated in the varnish. However, disaster! coating the now dried PVA with varnish caused the two to react against each other, and thus ended with an almost curdled effect which remained soft......
Next step will be to experiment with the crochet and varnish minus the PVA glue.



(The original light sculpture from PVA glue and string)

No comments: