About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Tuesday 13 October 2009

AT LAST! ABOUT THE KNIT & STITCHING SHOW...

Firstly let me thank all those I met at the Twisted Thread show...it was lovely to meet you and very nice to hear such positive comments....It felt good to be told you had seen me either on here or on my website before hand...at least I know my web footprint is working.
At last! Sorry for taking so long to blog...the intention was to blog daily after each show at Alexandra Palace but it was such a long haul home each night it was a matter of food, wash , sleep and back to the exhibition. Setting up was fun! on my own......it's a good job I am a lot stronger than I look.
The stand looked as I envisaged albeit very bijou! Each night I covered my work just for in case of flood, earthquake or other impending disaster!....The show turned into a fabulous way to make contacts and I have many opportunities lined up. My favourite part of the stand was my look-book with visitors comments section....a lovely reminder.
As I was in the resource centre I worked on 2 dresses during the show, one of which is this Thai silk wedding dress, at the end I managed to complete the corset top and lots of the picot skirt edging. The highlight for me was having Nicky Epstein introduce herself to me and tell me my work was so cute! I also made fabulous contacts to hold many a workshop and work with some yarn companies amongst the many networking opportunities were also talks about having some patterns included in books (My dream!) so all in all well worth all the effort.
There will I think be some changes to the stand for the Harrogate show and some more garment and idea additions. I so need to make more brooch kits since they sold out.
The other garment I completed was this little Eco dress made from project left overs, it was fastened with some of my brooches and was very warm. Lol sorry about the hair! (It was tied up during morning set up before the show opened)
My most immediate project from my networking is a exhibition for the national needlework archive which is a Christmas related exhibition to be held in Newbury. Since the revamped crochet shoes were so popular this is to be my starting point for another pair but with a Christmas twist. The aim of the exhibition will be to display works by artists who will then go on to teach workshops. The exhibition will last approx. from the end of October until Christmas. I will blog as I progress with my pieces. Funny how small the world is but the crochet lawn I made from 2006 for 'the worlds first life-sized knitted garden' project will also, when it eventually finishes touring will end up at the national needlework archive.

2 comments:

Hand Knitted Things said...

What a lovely display! Hoping to get to the Harrogate show in November! Would love to see your knitted designs in person.

https://indoorplantspotsanddoilies.blogspot.com/ said...

The stall looked fab
shabby chic.....
Love the SJP dress, just my cup o tea;-)
Hugs me
xx