About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Sunday 9 August 2009

AN UNUSUAL FIND IN THE WOODS...

Yesterday evening I set off with my two children to meet my friend Teresa for a drink and game of pool; we both live at either side of Reading University campus. The nicest way to get to Teresa's side is to walk through the woods edging the campus. It was a lovely evening and we hadn't taken this particular route in a very long time.
...suddenly an unusual sight came into view, an art installation waiting to be discovered. The work was by Daniela Pesaresi from the University's Fine Art course. Unfortunately the weather had got the better of her sorry got to say it inadequate signage and therefore I was left to my own mind to think of the meaning or question this art was suppose to create. Maybe that was the theory behind it to do just that.

The installation consisted of cast hands and feet hanging seemingly randomly from trees, strange tub/bird nest type items and a few books.


The main piece was a giant hand in a fist hold, with a clock hung above it. I googled the artist but only found a few images and no information, the images showed the giant hand in different positions.



....the images were taken when there was still snow on the ground and has been left to degrade with time so it seems.....question is what tale does this art tell? answers on a post card please! or failing that leave a comment. My opinion was that it gave a very 'Alice in wonderland' feel, very contemporary considering the recent film release. It gave the surreal feel, with the unexpected discovery of it and the hanging books and clock......curiouser and curiouser




No comments: