About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Tuesday 7 April 2009

GRANDMAS LEGACY



(Quick sketch I did of Grandma from a photograph)
I guess it all began with grandma...
My earliest memories are of sunday afternoons at Grandma and Grandads......in a small bungalow in a small village in West Yorkshire........

We would spend it eating meat or tuna sandwiches and have tinned fruit and cream..........

My sister and I would pass the time always being creative, either colouring or painting or making models, once I remember she was decorating and we got to draw on the bare walls before the new paper went up.......
This is where I remember my Grandad sitting patiently with yarn wrapped around his hands while Grandma spun it into a ball....I also remember her 'knitting stool'! I was the smallest and therefore it was my place , my very own seat and I loved it! It was soft and just my height (just like goldy locks) It was padded to sit on with no arms to allow the user no annoying arm catching incidents and padded so you could stick a pin or two in it. It also had a secret box underneath (magical when you are 6!) which was to store all the knitting gear in the world.

It was at Grandmas when I was 6 that she taught me how to knit and crochet and I was hooked, pardon the pun.

I later inherited her knitting equipment, which I imagine is now truely vintage........

No comments: