About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Saturday 18 April 2009

PARCHMENT CRAFT FOR LACE ILLUSTRATION

One of my ongoing projects are bridal designs using crochet lace, made from Eco-ideal materials. I am sourcing organic silks/cottons and my favourite is Soya Silk in both woven and yarn. I have also sourced Thai Silk which although it has to travel (It's so hard to tick all the boxes when it comes to environmentally friendly knitwear and fashion...very frustrating, especially on a budget), I have bought direct from the maker. i:e from the farmers who take care of the silk worms and then obtain and spin it using tradional methods. Also this means that the manufacturer is getting a fair price as it is the price they wish to ask.
mmmm...question is what about the poor silk worm.....Should Silk worms have rights?

I am always looking for new alternatives to illustrate my designs and rendering delicate crochet lace when it is mostly in white is always an issue. However I have now discovered that Parchment craft lends itself to this job perfectly.
I intend to photoshop a border with all the specifications and print out on A3 to fit my usual portfolio style, then the parchment can be laid onto this, with tiny actual fabric samples so that it shows through the paper on the circles (as seen in the image) to give close-up style snap shots of the textile.

No comments: