About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Tuesday 21 April 2009

KNITTING FOR CHILDREN

Knitting and crochet for kids I believe should be fun, and does not need to be stereotypical. It can be both funky and classical. The illustration shows a machine and hand knit coat which is padded like any other winter coat with an interlining of 'recycled plastic bottle' padding and lined in breathable organic cotton. The outer knit I have designed for a Dubied machine which creates pockets for more of the white bottle fibre to give the fun resemblence of snowballs. However I am sure it could be recreated in handknit or crochet. It is complete with cotton velvet trims....which makes for a very posh classic little girls coat.
Mittens!...or at least one of them! mmmm I have had this silk multi-coloured yarn for some years now, and began to crochet a lovely coat from it for myself. However it is one of those yarns that somehow seem much nicer on the ball than when made up. (one of the reasons I never finished it and of course time....am so busy making for everything else that things for me get left....so for Alison! ( http://knits-and-pearls.blogspot.com/ ) haha who has been trying to get me to finish the cardigan, I decided to make fun things for my daughter out of it instead)
So.....I managed to make her new mittens, with a plan to make a hat and some leg warmers.....anything else would be far too much as she would insist on wearing them all at the same time!...but typical she wore them once and lost one...so guess when the bad weather comes round again I will be having a case of Deja Vu.

Trying to find a new P.e bag has been an issue. Whenever I buy one for my daughter they end up having draw strings which go wrong and are left trailing just ideal for falling over. So since I am working on a new collection which is younger than my normal client profiling, being based on Harajuko dolls, I practised and made her a crochet bag with Harajuko cats. (she loves hello kitty!) The main bag used side saddle stitch, which is ideal as it alternates direction and therefore helps eliminate over stretch.


No comments: