About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Tuesday 22 September 2009

'AFTER BETTY(boo)...' DRESS


(A work in progress)

...After some thinking I decided to call my latest piece, 'After Betty (boo)...' (Obviously due to the fabric but also the cute flippy crochet hem which moves when the wearer walks), although the original design was not intended to be part of this collection, which is now drawing to an end, I decided that at some point I would like to approach several galleries I am known at, to display my work. This would be under the title, 'After Who?' Therefore since this title allows me the scope to show a variety of my works (Garments, accessories, furniture & art) I need to name pieces with according titles. (hopefully next year after this round of exhibitions are over, I can update my blog on my new exhibitions)

...this is a close up back view of the dress, showing the print and the crochet edging of the scooped back. ( I really like this photograph as it has reflections including my cat!)
...The lower edge black Rowan cotton glaze crochet edge.
The dress has less knitwear on as my usual style when I combine knit and wovens, but sometimes this does work for the better not to overload.
The front sports a mustard bib with Tulip crochet stitch and black edged ruffles. The mustard is picked out of the print colours.
As with many of my dresses which incorporate woven fabric, it has unusual darting, with 3 curved darts working from front to back to emphasize the hip area.
The Tulip crochet stitch close up.

...side view showing how pretty the back scooped edging can look.

No comments: