About Me

My photo
I am a gypsy! having been born and raised in Yorkshire, England I left at 21 and lived in many places including Germany for 5 years. This resulted in my always striving to move on to the next level of my life. The one thing that remained constant is my need to create. Eventually I went back to university and graduated with a first class honours degree in fashion and textiles majoring in knitwear design. I am now back in Yorkshire and a professional in-house hand knit designer for a well known UK pattern and yarn company.

Tuesday 15 September 2009

'POPPY-ROSE DRESS' my favourite design...


(Scan from my Interflora leaflet)

Finally finished! My first real garment from '...in an English country garden' collection. This unique special occasion dress began its origins from a simple beautiful bouquet of bright pink flowers teamed with the natural acid green of its leaves. The fabric was a end of line roll with limited amount of metre-age available, so I had to work with what I had. This inspired me to design a collection themed on English country gardens, and in turn this particular design can be also available in Ivory soya silk as a elegant unusual wedding dress.

....From design illustration to actual garment. The crochet is made from random flower patterns which I have written from Rowan Lenpur Linen, Debbie Bliss cashmere and cotton, and deadstock 100% cotton. Therefore yet another Eco-idealology dress from end of line and natural fibres.

....The main design feature is the back 'bustle' detail, with a montage of textural crochet flowers forming a hip emphasizing shape, enhanced by the curved darting. I am really please by this outcome but GOSH! did it take some work....
The edges of the hem and armholes are trimmed with picot crochet in cotton, which is a pretty good match to the woven satin.
..the front and back waist has been treated to pin-tucking which helps to pull in the waist area. The top is shaped with a scooped neck, reminiscent of Edwardian necklines, it in turn is covered with '...an English country garden'.
...The side view shows how the 'bustle' area is quite textural and stands out from the main dress...
..the side view shows fine lace crochet inserts at the waist area to add interest. Overall this is one of my personal favourites as the dress has such impact both in colour and texture. It will be on a display stand to view at the forth coming Twisted Thread, knit and stitch show at Alex. Palace, London in early October. Please come say hello. x
...This design can be ordered to be bespoke made, in any colour of fabric or yarn and size desired.







No comments: